Announcement !

Image
                            More great articles coming soon !               If you want to submit your ride, send me some pictures and info about yourself and your car.  Pre-1985 cars at this time.  Photos must be outside on a sunny day. I would need a few engine shots, an interior photo and a few outside body shots, like a front 3/4 view and rear 3/4 view and a side view. I will give you you or the photographer credit for the photos. Please no people in the photos unless it is you the owner.   If your article reaches 150 views you will receive a Shop Tour door prize !     If you want to advertise your company with me, monthly rates start at $25.00 per month... with a four month minimum. Wow what a deal !   Email me at : shoptourracing@yahoo.com Thank you !     

*An interview with Ida Zetterström *

 



Ida is cool and confident behind the wheel of her Top Fuel Dragster, in her first FIA event of 2022 she set a new European record of 3.782 seconds making her the first team to make a 3.7 second pass in Europe.

 

 Ida Zterström is from Aland Islands, Finland and even though she is under 30 yearsold she already has had an amazing career. This is her twentieth year competing in a Drag Racing category, as she was licensed to race junior dragsters at just eight years old.

 When Ida was only three weeks old she would travel with her family to different race tracks. She grew up in her fathers workshop and at the racetrack. Her father raced in Pro-Stock and Pro-Modified and also worked with other race teams. 

He was her biggest influence and encouraged her to race. When Ida was ready, he built her first JR Dragster.

 



I recently had the chance to have a Q&A session with her, to learn more about her racing background and to share it with our readers.

 

ST   

Can you tell me what racetracks you have raced at in the past and the ones you still travel to ?

 

IZ 

I’ve raced at a lot of tracks around our Nordic countries growing up, such as Mantrop, Sundsvall, Tulinge, Kjula and Vasteras in Sweden. I’ve also been to Motopark in Finland and Gardermoen Raceway in Norway.

In my later years of racing the motorcycle we raced in Kauhava, Finland, Tierp Arena in Sweden, Hockenheimring in Germany and Santa Pod in the U.K.
In 2018, I raced the Pro-Street Bike at the Man Cup finals in Valdosta at the SGMP track. 


 

 ST  Can you tell us more about your bike ?

IZ

 The bike was a Super Street Bike. They run a 68" wheelbase, without wheelie bars and on street tires. We ran a 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa engine with a Xona-Rotor turbo, Tial blow-off valve and wastegate, water cooled plenum and custom built manifold. A MTC Gen2 clutch and a Fuel Tech FT600 engine management system.


 
The bike produced about 750hp and my personal best on it is a 6.88 and 215 mph!

 My boyfriend Kim Hilander built the engines and our tuner Arttu Heinelä managed the tuning of the Fuel Tech
system. My dad, Richard Zetterström was my crew chief.

 

 

ST 

Do you look up to anyone in racing such as a favorite driver or team ?

 

IZ

I do not have a favorite driver or team, but I look up to many in the industry for different reasons. Some for their ability to market their partners and find sponsors and for the teamwork they have. 

And I admire some of the drivers that perform well under pressure. There’s a lot that goes into what we do, to see the
strengths these different drivers have is very inspiring.

 


Ida earned her Top Fuel license at the end of the 2021 season, running an amazing 3.86 to 1000ft, the quickest FIA licensing run in history!

 

ST   

Do you plan to continue racing dragsters or do you want to try something different such as Funny Cars or Door Slammers?

IZ  

For the moment I feel like I've only gotten my feet wet in Top Fuel. I still have so much to learn and I definitely want to stick with this. But I also won’t say no to a challenge and I’m not closing any doors

Both Funny cars and Door Slammers are awesome and the bike classes are still a big part of my heart but my main focus is Top Fuel Dragsters for now. 

 


 

ST 

Have you ever been to the United States to see a race and do you ever plan to come to the States to race full time in the future ? 

IZ 

I've been to some races in the U.S., both the NHRA and events like the Man Cup when racing the bike. I also raced there myself in 2018.  

I dream of racing in Top Fuel in the states!

 


 
                          Ida isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, as she helps the team between rounds.

 


 Ida is getting ready to run her sub 4-second 11,000 H.P. Dragster down the Drag Strip!

 

ST   

What do you like to do in your spare time ?

IZ   

Most of my days revolve around racing in one way or another. There is a lot of planning & marketing that goes into the team. I also work full time running my own business when I'm not racing.

I also like action sports, road trips and just taking time to relax at the family cabin. I’m also restoring a 1968 Camaro with my boyfriend that we co-own. It's been a fun project.


                                                                       Ida roasting the tires in her 68’ Camaro!

 


 

ST

Can you tell me who helped you along the way, and is there anyone you would like to thank ? 

IZ 

 Definitely! After 20 years of racing there’s a few, but I would like to send a big thank you to my Mom and Dad for getting me into the sport and supporting every path I’ve chosen. My Dad taught me about mindset, paying attention to details and the winning spirit. 

And thank you to my boyfriend Kim who supports me, he works on anything I take down the track. He also taught me everything I know about racing a bike.

Ida said she also thanks her great partner Mstand.ax run by Jan-Erik Eklund, for believing in her and the team. He sponsored them in both the Super Street Bike and now with the Top Fuel car. And a special thank you to the RF Motorsport team for taking me on with open arms and making me feel comfortable and confident behind the wheel of a Top Fuel Dragster. And to everyone who helped me and cheered me on.
 

Thank you to everyone !

 

 

Ida’s Super Street Bike spec’s
 

Brand: Suzuki Hayabusa
Category: Super Street Bike
Series: FIM European / EDRS PRO Nordic
Horsepower: 750
Fuel system: Fuel-Tech
Turbo: Xona Rotor turbos
Engine Builder: Kim Hilander
Tuner : Arttu Heinälä
2020 points finish: 1st Finnish Championship
Career-best elapsed time
: 6.885 s - 215.55 mph (Kauhava, 2020) 

 

 

The spec’s on Ida’s Dragster
 

Chassis: McKinney                              

Series: FIA European Championship 

Horsepower:  

11,000 hp
Engine size: 500 cubic inches
Fuel: Nitro-methane
Career-best elapsed time: 3.782 s (Santa Pod Raceway, 2022)
Career-best speed: 301.92 mph (Santa Pod Raceway, 2022)

 


Bonus videos



 


 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in the Garage *Paul Kaufmann's 76 Arrow*

Improve your cars ET with this week's Tip !

Al Wagner's 1970 Plymouth Duster